Online Shopping


Many of our daily activities and practices have impacts on the world as a result of globalization. Globalization describes the interconnectivity between communities worldwide enabled by advanced technology promoting communication and dialogue. This leads to “time-space compressions” and “social acceleration.” 

Aspects of my day-to-day life affected by globalization can be viewed through my regular online shopping. Many online products I purchase are produced in East Asian countries and are shipped to consumers living in distant or nearby countries. The products I usually buy online are items that cannot be found in my local area. Certain makeup products, clothes and stationary items I have are acquired using online platforms. The most common site I use for online shopping offers products sourced from reputable suppliers and are imported directly from Korea. The photo I chose shows a variety of popular Korean makeup and skincare brands. Some of these brands are products I use regularly as a result of online shopping.

Online shopping allows retailers and brands to provide goods to a wider range of consumers outside their local audience. This is possible due to advanced technology, a contributor of globalization, that allows us to make quick purchases on our phones and other personal devices. As a result, online shopping is becoming an increasing trend that promotes interconnectedness between buyers and sellers across continents. It also challenges brands from countries all over the world to revise their overall globalization strategy. 

I chose this example because many friends and family I know actively utilize online shopping since it is easy, convenient and a reliable method of shopping. Additionally, online platforms are frequently used and are becoming apart of daily living for many individuals. Products that are not readily available in our own country can be easily purchased with a few clicks on the internet. As access to internet is available to most individuals the online market has become more competitive.

Comments